For most people, achieving a healthy, beautiful smile is the reason for receiving orthodontic care. If you’re self-conscious about your smile, correcting your concerns with braces or Invisalign® will greatly improve the way you look and feel. Correcting your bite will also help improve your oral hygiene and dental health.
When your treatment is complete, you will have the smile you’ve always dreamed of and the confidence to show it off! We also want you to feel comfortable throughout your entire orthodontic experience, and our practice is dedicated to making sure that you receive the quality care you deserve.
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
Orthodontic appliances are made of metal, ceramic, or plastic. They may be removable or they may be brackets bonded to the teeth. By placing a constant, gentle force in a carefully controlled direction, braces slowly move teeth to the proper position.
Duration of Treatment
Treatment time varies and on average can last between 6 months to two years, depending on several factors including age, treatment method, and how minor or severe your case is. A big factor in a successful treatment is you! The more involved and diligent you are, the more efficient your treatment will be. For children, receiving interceptive or early treatment can also help provide a quicker treatment time.
Before beginning your orthodontic care, we will discuss all of your options and provide an estimate for how long your full treatment may take. Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment and learn more about orthodontics and the treatments we provide.
Benefits & Recommendations
The Right Age
The American Association of Orthodontist (AAO) recommends that all children have a check-up with an orthodontist no later than age 7 for early detection of any potential problems.
The Benefits of Early Treatment
- May prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing
- Lower the risk of injury to protruded teeth
- Reduce treatment time and severity at later age
- Minimize future jaw surgery
- Minimize removal of permanent teeth
- Guide jaw growth in favorable direction
- Guide permanent teeth into favorable position
- Improve appearance
- Correct harmful oral habits (i.e. thumb or finger sucking, tongue thrusting and mouth breathing)
The Benefits of Adult Treatment
- Prevent or improve periodontal problems (i.e. gum disease)
- Prevent or reduce bone loss around teeth (i.e. lose supporting structure)
- Improve ability of the dentist to restore missing teeth
- Improve oral health and function of teeth
- Improve cleanability around teeth to avoid dental problems and stain
- Improve esthetics for a great smile and better facial appearance
- Improve self-confidence and self-esteem